I planned out my spreads like this. Mostly, I didn’t deviate too much. Doing this made me realise the grid would need to be very loose.
I then begun to replicate the sketches in InDesign and, when I was slightly satisfied with the way they were going, I decided I should print them to see how they were coming along. It would save me wasting any time on something that was dead before it even begun.
I could not print the actual size of the magazine at home. So to smaller scale, I did a test print of my spreads. I got right in close so that I could maybe recreate it’s size, I did this so I could see what spreads are working, what gutters might need tightening or maybe just to see what wasn’t working on print.
I went through it and highlighted potential solutions for any issues, what I could place in ineffective white space and I could also see any slight errors in positions.
This was a really good tool for me to see the pages before I pay for them to be printed.